Recently

1 June 2014

The Blonde Solid Shampoo


You're not seriously going to use that in your hair, are you? This was a reaction I received from one of my flatmates when she saw this arrive in the post earlier this week. Her distain didn't stem from the fact that the shampoo was in solid form, or because it had what she describes as 'lots of frilly bits on top'. Her concern was based on the fact that this shampoo is designed for hair on the other side of the spectrum to what mine is. And after witnessing how my hair can alter when using new products, she had a right to be worried.  

The Blonde Solid Shampoo is one of Lush's age-old products, released many years ago when Lush were only just beginning to release their solid haircare into the world. As the name suggests, this shampoo is aimed at those with fairer hair - the ingredients combined together especially to help bring out the natural shine in golden locks and brighten any highlights, natural or not. 

Firstly, it's a known fact that chamomile in all of it's forms, is the best herb for maintaining and intensifying those with lighter-coloured hair. It helps to give blonde hair a natural glossiness whilst keeping it soft and vibrant. There are many shampoos and conditioners on the market that claim to contain elements of chamomile in their ingredients list. However, unlike this one, most of the commercial brands have seriously watered down the amount of chamomile that they use. This means that the goodness it can offer hair is severely reduced and doesn't do much more than just adding to the overall scent of the shampoo. 

Coupled with marigold, The Blonde gives off a beautiful fragrance - you can really smell this combination immediately upon tearing back the wrapper. As well as the inclusion of these plants, you can also smell a very pungent citrus smell, which almost overpowers the chamomile. 

This solid shampoo features lemon juice, tangerine and mandarin oil, as well as dried orange slices for decoration. Together, they offer the user a strong, natural and slightly bitter citrus smell. It's fragrance reminds me slightly of fresh lemon rind - that bittersweet uplifting tartness that gets up your nose and refuses to leave. I happen to love this smell although I can imagine it might be too dominating for some people. 

The Blonde works in the same way as all of Lush's other solid shampoos. You can either massage it through wet hair, or rub it between your hands and create a lather, which can then be applied to your locks. Either way, you can really tell how much shampoo is compacted into a single bar as it lathers up really easily but takes forever to shrink in size. 

This particular shampoo is very slightly soft between the fingers so it's definitely worth being a little more proactive at keeping this dry when it's not being used. I can imagine that this would soak up water a lot easier than some of Lush's other solid bars so I would recommend patting it dry after every use, just to play it safe.

Even though it's marketed for those with lighter hair, Lush do make a point of saying that this works just as well for those that have dyed their hair a darker colour, and perhaps it is this reason that I found The Blonde worked wonders for my locks. 

It took a couple of uses to start the ball rolling but once my hair was used to the shampoo, it was a pleasure to use. My hair felt beautifully soft and noticeably glossier immediately, and it made my hair brighter rather than stripping or fading the dye that I use regularly. I also noticed that my hair seemed more manageable and I was able to wear it down without having to straighten it first - it supported my natural wave but worked on reducing any frizz that would have given me a bad hair day. 

The Blonde Solid Shampoo has quickly cemented itself as one of my favourite hair care products and I have already ordered myself a few extra blocks to see me through the summer. Even if you don't have fair hair, I really recommend that you give this one a try - I'm glad I did. 

Unfortunately, the fact that this has come from the Kitchen means that it won't be a regular part of my routine. However, I'm hoping it's popularity convinces Lush to make this a permanent member of their range. Another fantastic product from my favourite company!

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Chamomile and Marigold Petal Infusion, Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate, Perfume, Lauryl Betaine, Soya Lecithin, Fresh Organic Lemon Juice, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Tangerine Oil, Mandarin Oil, Gardenia Extract, Limonene, Linalool, Dried Orange Slices, Dried Roman Chamomile Flower.

Vegan?: Yes.


2015 Price: £6.25 for 100g. 

2016 Price: £6.25 for 100g. 
2017 Price: £6.25 for 100g. 


5 comments

  1. Yes Please!!!!!!!!!!! bring this product back my hair has never been the same since it was discontinued. Where can I get some PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you manage to pick this up when it was released in the Kitchen earlier this year?

      Delete
  2. I just got two bars from th kitchen. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I got some today with Tramp body lotion and Dr Peppermint. It smells like marigold gone wild and I LOVE the flowers in it 💙💚💛

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. I couldn't believe how soft it was though, as if it had almost melted in post. No complaints though, it lathers like no other!

    ReplyDelete


UP