Recently

18 February 2015

Sex N The Shower Emotibomb


After my rather positive experience with the Up You Gets Emotibomb last year, I was rather intrigued to try out some of Lush's other scented variations. So when they announced that they were bringing out Sex N The Shower, I was initially very excited by the prospect - the mere design of the product sold itself to me before I'd even had a chance to find out any more about it. 

While Up You Gets was designed to invigorate your mind and wake you up for the day ahead, Sex N The Shower was made for a slightly different purpose. Made from a blend of seven different oils and absolutes, this emotibomb was created to stimulate the senses and get you in the mood for activities a little steamer, shall we say. This is a product made for sharing. 

Although Juniperberry is listed as the main ingredient, it is the ginger, ylang ylang and rose oils that make the biggest impression on me. Sharing it's scent with the Ginger range, this item gives off a very potent and slightly spicy floral aroma - one that reminds me of ginger beer intertwined with dried rose petals and a dash of Ylang Ylang.

It's a rather strange aroma - one that I think is definitely a love or hate sort of smell. In the shower, I find that the fragrance separates a lot and it is then that you can smell the jasmine a lot clearer and stronger in the mix. Sex N The Shower has an almost woody and very powdery element to it which is much more pronounced when it comes into contact with the water, so while I didn't appreciate its smell very much in the packet, I did enjoy it a little more in the shower. 

So what is an emotibomb? According to Lush, this unique bathroom companion works in the same way that you would expect a bath ballistic to do -only it's designed to work in the shower instead. Simply pop one of these on the floor by your feet and go about your normal shower routine. When the warm water meets the bomb, it'll fizz away and release a cloud of fragrant steam that alters your mood, dependent on the purpose of the emotibomb.  

As you can see from the video, I decided to put the plug in during my shower so that I would be able to enjoy the fragrance of this product for longer. After previous experiences with emotibombs, I found that if the product was too close to the plughole when I was in the shower, the scent was far too 'in your face',  and it would end up masking anything I was using in the shower at the time. 

At the same time, putting the bomb directly underneath me meant that it dissolved in record time and only gave me a small window in which to enjoy the aroma before the product was washed away with the water. Not only this but it's rather annoying having to watch where you stand and how you move around in the shower with the product by your feet.

To prevent this from happening, I placed my Sex N The Shower about a metre from the plug so it wasn't constantly submerged under the running water. This time I found that the product lasted a lot longer and offered me a strong scent throughout the entire shower. Some Lushies even suggest that you break the emotibomb in half and use it for two different occasions. However, I can imagine that this would take away a large proportion of the fragrance and render it almost pointless for those of us who want something strong to wake us up. This is a product you'd use when you're in desperate need of that early morning wake up, so you'd want to use the whole thing in situations like that. 

This emotibomb worked exactly as it should have done - offering a strong burst of fragrance to see you through the entire shower. Unfortunately, it was the scent that I had a problem with - it just didn't work for me at all and I didn't appreciate the fact that it lingered in my bathroom for a long time afterwards. 


As I said in my review of Up You Gets, I think emotibombs are a bit of a novelty product, not one that I would use all of the time. At £3 a piece, it's a little expensive for the few minutes of usage it offers the consumer and unlike a bath bomb, it doesn't leave your skin any more nourished - neither does it permeate your body with it's fragrance and leave you feeling wonderful.

For this reason, I wouldn't purchase this again and it's unlikely that I'd rush out and invest in any more of Lush's emotibombs any time soon. While I can see Lush's reasoning for trying to convince people to take a shower than a bath, I can definitely see why they weren't popular enough to stand the test of time.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Perfume, Juniperberry Oil, Ginger Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Rose Oil, Jasmine Absolute, Geranium Oil, Mimosa Absolute, Citronellol, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Colour 17200.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £3.00 each. 
2016 Price: £3.00 each. 

Year of Original Release: 2008.


Scent Family:
Badass Gel Shower Gel
Boo Bath Melt and Bubble Bar
Ginger Bath Oil
Ginger Body Lotion
Ginger Liquid Perfume
Lemon Days And Ginger Beer Bath Bomb
Sex N The Shower Emotibomb




No comments

Post a Comment


UP