Recently

10 December 2015

Lip Blocks





On the outside, these are gorgeous to look at - three different palettes of colour that just beg to be used. If there is a lip tint on the market that is going to suck you in with its presentation, these little beauties are going to be it. And so they did - when I ended up walking away with two out of the three in a recent Lush splurge. 

To begin with, I was a little unsure about whether these innovative Lip Blocks would be more of a novelty item than a practical idea. While Lush have proven time and time again that their quirky take on make-up works, I still end up harvesting a little doubt about the productivity of an item until I've given it a go myself. As to be expected, these wonderful blocks of colour are spellbinding, and once again I was left marvelling at the brilliance of such an idea.

Priced up at £20 each, I can imagine a lot of consumers would be a little hesitant to invest in something they're unsure about. Yet after the promising results I've had from a lot of Lush's new make-up range recently, I decided to take the plunge, and the results that I have yielded have confirmed that I made the right choice.

Available in three colour combinations; Shades Of Red, Shades Of Pink and Shades Of Nude, these lipsticks can be used in an array of different ways. The basis premise is that you apply the colour to your lips with a lip brush - running the tip across the surface very gently and transferring the product to your lips.
How these blocks differ from a normal lipstick is that you can either choose to concentrate on one particular colour and apply a single layer, or blend multiple colours together and create a unique, taylor-made shade to wear - one that will be different from anything that anyone else is wearing. 

What is great about these blocks is that I can see them lasting so much longer than an average tube of lipstick; meaning that £20 seems very much like a steal when compared with other brands currently on the market. Furthermore, the lack of packaging means that these are so much more ethically inclined - a factor that makes them even more appealing in my eyes. 
As someone who considers herself a make-up novice, I found these extremely easy to use, and as long as you have a steady hand, it's not too much trouble outlining your lips and then filling them in afterwards. I found that I only needed to brush the block lightly to get enough colour for a large section of my lips, and after a good twenty uses, my product doesn't even look like it's been touched.
My only grouch with this product is that you have to be careful when blending to get the shade of your choice. While you can blend the colours across the blocks before applying to the lips, this does prove a little messy, and you may have to wipe the different colours off of each section before using it again.

I would recommend that you blend the colour while you are applying it to your lips. Not only does this prevent colours seeping across the different shades, it also allows you to see the true colour once it is on your skin, and you're then able to adjust this to create the perfect match. 

Unlike a lot of lipsticks, these ones are not sticky at all, and once they have been applied, they act as more of a lip tint - in that they are very light when worn and don't pertain a glossy finish. However, they aren't as vivid as some of the lipsticks I have tried from Lush, and will need to be applied after a few hours if you wish to maintain the colour. 
Obviously, they are also prone to smudging a little, so I would recommend that you use Lush's Lip Barrier alongside this to keep the colour contained and give it a longer lifespan on your lips. Having said this, this is nothing that most other lips products don't do, so I wouldn't say you were at a disadvantage wearing this at all - if anything, I'd say the inverse!

Overall, these little blocks are fantastic value for money. Even with daily use, one of these would last you a good year at least - that's unless you're nibbling it at the same time! Not only are they a fun and innovative way to use and apply lipstick, but they're so very very pretty. 

Shades Of Red: 
Quantitative Ingredients: Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Castor Oil (Ricinus communis), Watermelon seed oil (Citrullus Lanatus), Sunflower Wax (Helianthus Annuus), Orange Peel Wax (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis), Candelilla Wax (Euphorbia cerifera), Rose Wax (Rosa damascena), Glycerine, Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), Cetearyl Alcohol, Colour 15850:1, Colour 77499, Colour 12085.

Shades Of Pink:
Quantitative Ingredients: Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Castor Oil (Ricinus communis), Watermelon seed oil (Citrullus Lanatus), Sunflower Wax (Helianthus Annuus), Orange Peel Wax (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis), Candelilla Wax (Euphorbia cerifera), Rose Wax (Rosa damascena), Glycerine, Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), Cetearyl Alcohol, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Aluminium Silicate, Colour 45410:2, Colour 77891, Colour 77491

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £20 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2015.





3 comments

  1. I find these such an odd looking invention, yet I'm also intrigued. They look really interesting and id love to give them a try! As always great review x

    www.indulgentrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you store them? My friend brought me one and I haven't taken if out of the carton box because I simply don't know how to keep it from smudging all over my other makeup....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you store them? My friend brought me one and I haven't taken if out of the carton box because I simply don't know how to keep it from smudging all over my other makeup....

    ReplyDelete


UP