Recently

25 February 2016

Superdad Bath Bomb




Since heavily submersing myself into the world of Lush, I have always been convinced that I couldn't possibly get any more 'extreme'. Once you've spent almost half of your monthly earnings on a single order from the company, it's difficult to envisage anything reaching that level of madness again. And then you find yourself importing bath bombs from across the globe...

Superdad is a gorgeous bath bomb - one of six limited edition items that have been released to coincide with this year's Father's Day collection. Not only is this exclusive beauty brand new to the Lush family, but it's also part of the company's first ever release for this particular season. Currently only available in Spain, this stunning ballistic is set to arrive in the UK in May - making an appearance to mark our Father's Day, which is being held on June 19th this year.

What immediately grabbed my attention when it came to this bath bomb, was its design. Coming in at roughly 7cm long, 4cm wide and 2cm deep, this is a good sized bath bomb - no bigger than a regular ballistic, but definitely more visually pleasing than a lot of the plain-looking bombs you can get.

This beauty also sports a very interesting and rather unique scent - one that is both gentle and subtle, but also one that sports many prominent layers that give it quite a complex aroma as well. This certainly didn't grab my attention the first time I gave it a sniff, but it was definitely one that had won my heart over by the end of the week.
Containing what appears to be guaiacwood oil, or least a component taken from the bulnesia sarmientoi family, this bath bomb has what I'd describe as a sweet and very pleasant floral aroma. This ingredient, which is not seen very often in Lush products, gives off a soft, sweet hybrid of smells - a powdery rose and violet combination with elements of what I can only describe as being like a powdery floral tea.

Imagine taking a generous amount of hand-picked leaves from both of the flowers, leaving them to dry before adding in a generous dashing of olibanum and some natural, musky vanilla, and you might begin to understand what Superdad smells like. The olibanum oil gives the ballistic a wonderful sweet, almost resin-like note, that rests alongside the floral elements, and it may even be this that gives the bomb its gentle, powdery, vanillary finish.

There is also a very subtle woody element that is present when the bomb is not in use. However, once in the water, this alters into more of a faint, smoky aroma - not one that is very noticeable, but one you are likely to pick up on your skin afterwards.
As far as bath bombs go, I was expecting this one to be a very fast fizzer - usually Lush's flat ballistics tend to dissolve fairly quickly in the water. However, clocking in at close to twenty minutes, I was surprised to find that this was Lush's longest-lasting bath bomb to date. Not only that, but it is perhaps the quietest one as well, which is the perfect combination if you're looking for something super relaxing but equally enthralling.

While its size and generosity suggests that it would be equally as lovely being used across two baths, I chose to use the entire thing so that I could observe its full potential in the water, and what a show it produced. To begin with, the bomb unravelled waves of blue and red foam - sending out branches of colour across the surface of the tub and leaving a light layer of cloudiness in its wake.

As the ballistic began to get smaller, streams of yellow joined the mix and helped to produce a vivid but rather translucent blue-coloured bath water. While not as nourishing as you would expect from a bubble bar or bath melt, Superdad did leave the bath water rather soft and moisturising, and I really felt a difference on my skin afterwards.
Strangely, once the bath bomb had fully dissolved, I was unable to really detect much of the fragrance in the room anymore. Having said this, I was very aware that the aroma was still present in the tub - I just think that it was a little too gentle to really compete with the scents of the other products being used at the time.

What the bath bomb did do though was create a really relaxing and rather comforting experience. I felt emotionally 'warm' throughout, and it raised my spirits up quite a bit, which was just what I needed at the time. The bath bomb had a wonderfully calming effect on my state of mind, and I found that I was able to drift off to sleep fairly quickly after getting into bed that night.

Overall, I really enjoyed using this ballistic and I'm glad that I didn't wait until it came out in England for me to enjoy its healing properties. While it unfortunately didn't leave any lingering aromas on my skin afterwards, I was able to pick up the olibanum in my hair the next day, and I wonder whether there were traces on my body, I just couldn't detect them myself.
This scent would work so well as both a dusting powder and a massage bar, and I really hope to see other products with the same aroma in the near future. While my dad will not be the receiver of such bath bomb this year, I can vouch that I will enjoy these ten times over in his honour.            

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Cream of Tartar, Sandalwood Oil, Guiacwood Oil, Olibanum Oil, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Betaine, Perfume, *Limonene, *Linalool, Coumarin, Hydroxycitronellal, Lilial, Rosie Red Lustre, Cornstarch, Colour 42090, Colour 14700, Colour 47005.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £3.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2016.



1 comment

  1. Oh my days, I live in Barcelona, and I totally didn't think about this! For once, I am on the forefront! (And for once I don't have to pay for international delivery on Kitchen orders...!)

    I just took a look at the Spanish website for el dĂ­a del padre and am so excited about the Smuggler's Soul moisturiser and Smuggler's Soul scrub. As soon as I get paid I am off to the shop, where naturally they know me - and I actually recommended they read your blog. :-)

    Can't wait to see your take on these products too!

    ReplyDelete


UP