Recently

29 June 2017

1000 Millihelens Jelly Face Mask



One of the biggest problems I have with Lush is their constant need to invent new products. This may sound rather strange, given that you'd normally expect to find me revelling in new releases. However, I have more of an issue with the fact that many of these new inventions never see the light of day, or if they do, they're likely to be made in very small batches and only available to those lucky enough to be there at the time. For someone who has a compulsion and a need to experience everything that comes out of the company, this is a practice that I feel uncomfortable with. 

When I attended the Lush Summit event earlier this year, I was apprehensive about the fact that the company had five brand new face mask inventions available to sniff, hold and experience right there and then. However, not one of them was available for sale at that particular moment, meaning that I had to walk away knowing that there was a product in existence that I wasn't able to try. Luckily for me, I was finally able to obtain four out of the five of them later that day, which helped to relieve the uneasiness that I had been feeling up until that moment.

1000 Millihelens is one of a handful of exclusive new jelly masks that have just recently made themselves available in stores. The first of its kind, this brand new invention is an exciting leap for Lush, who have only been known to release fresh face masks up until this point. 

While there current range of masks are far superior to any other mask I have experienced outside of Lush, my only issue is the fact that they offer the shortest shelf life out of every other Lush product available to buy. What first struck me about each and every one of the five new jelly masks, is that they appear to have an extended use by date of up to a year - which is a 1100% increase when compared to the regular masks. 

After using the face mask near on every day for a matter of weeks, I have also concluded that the longevity of this product far outweighs that of its predecessors. Whereas a normal pot would give me on average about 6-8 uses, I found that the jelly variation had barely shrunk after my tenth use, and I could easily envisage getting upwards of another twenty uses out of it, if not more.

The basic premise of the jelly face mask is that you could can utilise it in one of two ways. Firstly, you have the option of using it in the same way as you would a regular shower jelly, albeit on the face. You can either add a little dash of water between your palms, massage it to create a gentle lather and then apply this to your face; or you can ensure that the jelly is wet and then massage it directly across your face. This way will heed a very light layer of product on the skin, although it's still enough to get impressive results from the mask.

Secondly (and the way that it was meant to be used) is to break off a small grape-sized piece, use a small amount of water to massage the jelly into a paste-like consistency, and then apply it directly to the face. This will give you a much thicker layer of production on your skin, and perhaps works slightly more intensely overall. 

Either way, what you will notice is that this mask is not as heavy or as noticeable as the regular face masks are. You wont be left with a really thick layer of product on your skin, like you would normally expect to. Instead, your face will harvest a thin layer of product, that you then leave on for the usual twenty minutes, before washing off.  

Having chosen 1000 Millihelens to try out first, I was really impressed by the fragrance that greeted me from the tub. Sharing its scent with the Johnny Appleseed Bath Oil, this bright, fruity apple-dominated mask is delicious from the word go. Featuring witch hazel to soothe and relieve irritated skin, green tea to detox and purify the pores, and kaolin clay to remove unwanted grease and dirt, this powerhouse of ingredients is lighter and far sweeter than any of Lush's other masks. For those who have not experienced this bath oil before, 1000 Millihelens smells like a combination of expensive apple juice with a gentle layer of herbal green tea alongside this.  

Based on Helen Ambrosen, this face mask also features lemon oil to add radiance to your complexion, making it super effective but equally gentle on the skin. What I really appreciated about this face mask was that it was far easier to use than a regular face mask, and I was able to apply it after jumping in the shower, rather than set time aside to so before I could wash myself. 

After washing this off, I was initially disappointed to find that my skin didn't feel as plump or as well-nourished as the likes of Oatifix or Don't Look At Me. However, I discovered that this product was more of a 'grower' - in that it worked more subtlety over time, so that my skin felt far softer and smoother half an hour after I had rinsed it off.

I feel as if this mask would be suited for most skin types. My complexion is what I'd describe as normal to dry, and my skin was left feeling very radiant and smooth afterwards. The inclusion of the green tea infusion really help to clean out my pores of any dirt or debris; the apple gave my complexion a natural shine that stayed with me for the most part of the day. For those with slightly greasier skin, you may find that the different clays will help to absorb excess oils  as well.  

Overall, I am really excited about the idea of these being made for shop release. The jelly face mask is a unique concept that won't (and shouldn't) replace replace the regular face masks, but definitely makes a very different and more cost effective alternative. I look forward to seeing what other variations may transpire in the near future.

Quantitative Ingredients: Green Tea Infusion, Glycerine, Propylene, Glycol, Kaolin, Zeolite Clay, Fresh Apple Juice, Talc, Carrageenan Extract, Sicilian Lemon Oil, Neroli Oil, Brazilian Orange Oil, Witch Hazel Extract, Water, Geraniol, Perfume, Chlorophyllin.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £6.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.

Scent Family:
1000 Millihelens Jelly Face Mask
Johnny Appleseed Bath Oil


1 comment


UP