Recently

17 September 2017

Icon Liquid Perfume


After years of pining, I finally managed to snag myself a bottle of Icon Liquid Perfume - an occasion that should have been marked with happiness and elation. Instead, I found myself rather disappointed when I removed the lid and found that I didn't appreciate the smell that greeted me at all. It was nothing like I remember the soap being, and this was devastating. Even spraying it onto my skin heeded little comfort to me, and I began to question whether I had truly loved the soap as much as I had remembered I had. That was until I left the fragrance to settle and develop on my skin, and discovered that a little patience is all it takes to bring this aroma we very much to life.

Sharing its scent with the soap of the same name, Icon Liquid Perfume is a product that has a lot to live up to, given the nature of its title. Anything less than near-on perfection would be inadequate for a fragrance of its calibre, and luckily it doesn't disappoint.

Much like the soap, what I love about this smell from Lush is that it's so incredibly complex and robust on the skin; it's not a perfume that's merely worn, but instead one used to make a statement. A bold one at that. If you're looking for a signature scent, this fragrance ticks every box and leaves a lasting impression - one that will turn heads and no doubt inspire many a compliment.

Strangely, the ingredients list appears fairly simplistic, and almost boring when compared to the aroma Icon offers. Featuring bergamot, tangerine and mandarin oils as the key ingredients, you'd be mistaken for thinking this is similar to the likes of What Would Love Do? or 1000 Kisses Deep. In fact, the perfume probably wouldn't be too far off either if it wasn't for the inclusion of the myrrh resinoid - a component that I truly believe makes this perfume as special as it is. 

Lush describe the smell of Icon as having 'lots of deep, heavy layers which build up to make the whole sound, with high light notes dancing up above it'. While this description may be rather cryptic about the actual smell of the fragrance, it's a good description of how the perfume works on the skin. For me at least. 

Firstly, much like the soap, I was able to pick out a spicy, mandarin fragrance that gave this perfume a warming, sensual layer to it. This note reminded me a little of crystallised fruit peel (also known as candied peel) and so Icon to me is a very wintery scent because of this reason. There is definitely a delicate spicy element present that teases and tantalises your senses, whilst it is working with the heat of your skin, and offers a very sophisticated twist to the usually quite bitter fruit. 

With the inclusion of both sandalwood and myrrh resinoid in the ingredients, this perfume also has an element of smokiness about it - something you'll either love or hate. Although very subtle in the overall smell of the soap, this pungent, woody, smoky smell definitely dominates the scent as a whole - sitting comfortably as the base note and encouraging that rich, sultry Iconic aroma to captivate the user. In hindsight, it is only through the inclusion of the orange blossom and mandarin oil that stops Icon from being too heavy a scent. These citrus notes give the soap subtle uplifting qualities that help to elevate all of the other ingredients and give them all a chance to shine through.   

From the bottle, the myrrh is far too dominating and over zealous on the skin, and I can imagine many people will be deterred from using it for this reason. However, within five minutes of it being sprayed, that's cloudiness to lifted and you are left with a wholesome, very comforting aroma that is both delicately sweet and wonderfully rich and complex.

As I mentioned above, Icon is one of Lush's most interesting and charismatic fragrances, and one that definitely needs to be tried and tested by anybody who calls themselves a Lush fan. It's truly unforgettable and remains one of my favourite scent families from Lush - if only the company would offer us a shower gel or jelly to divulge in.

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Bergamot Oil, Water, Glycerine, Tangerine Oil, Sicilian Mandarin Oil, Myrrh Resinoid, Orange Flower Absolute, *Citral, *Geraniol, *Farnesol, *Limonene, *Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £39.50 for 30ml.

Year Of Original Release: ?

Scent Family:
Icon Bubble Bar
Icon Dusting Powder
Icon Liquid Perfume

Icon Soap



No comments

Post a Comment


UP